It is NOT what you may think...
Photo by Caroline Hernandez on Unsplash
A few years back I watched the below TED TALK by Robert Waldinger, a Psychiatrist, Psychoanalyst, Zen priest and the Director of the Harvard Study of Adult Development, one of the most comprehensive longitudinal studies in history (source: TED).
I watched this video more than 3-5 times and every time, I am amazed how simply one factor and only that can affect our well being and longevity. That factor is the people we surround ourselves with and the type of relationships we build.
Research on Blue Zones (areas with the highest percentage of centenarians compared to the number of the overall population), has also identified that people that live the longest value family the most and have a sense of belonging. Getting together with their family and their community is an important factor of their every day life thus building their self-confidence and them having the feeling of being an integral part of a group.
Every time you spend quality time with family and friends, you:
1. Develop self esteem
2. Nurture positive behaviour
3. Create memories - most of the memories we tend to share are from time spent with family and friends
4. Promote healthy lifestyle
5. Relieve stress - expressing your concerns to a safe and supportive environment as well as laughing is de-stressing
6. Sleep better - studies have shown that youth fell asleep more easily on days when they spent more time than usual interacting with friends. But they took longer to fall asleep on days when they spent more time than usual with family (source: business insider)
So, make it a habit to spend more time with your loved ones, it is good for your health.
I hope this serves you. Thank you for making me a part of your day today.
I am always grateful for you,