Let's discuss self-worth...
What is self-worth? Self-worth is the sense of one's own value or worth as a person. Having a low self-worth can lead to us feeling lonely, insecure and be jealous of other and that behaviour pushes others away. So, having a strong self-worth is an important element in our life. However, your self-worth is related to one factor and one factor alone and that factor is
- unconditional self-love -
Ok, great you may say. Thanks, Christina. That is just great!
Listen to me though, loving ourselves unconditionally as we love our family, our friends, our partner is the secret to self-worthiness. However, the difficulty lies in that we know how to love others but not sure how to offer the same love to ourselves. So, how do we do that?
Leo Babauta, the founder of Zen Habits, recommends following the same process as you do when you fall in love -
1. Meet someone interesting
2. Get to know them
3. Appreciate the little things
4. Start to trust
5. Get love from them & return it
When practicing on yourself, this translates into:
1. Meeting the interesting person within you - You can either close your eyes or keep notes on all the things that make you interesting. You can discover that side of you by answering -
2. Get to know this cool person - In the next few days, just explore yourself, find out what you like, what your passions are, what your weaknesses and strengths are, find out your fears and your values.
3. Appreciate the little things - You are an amazing and unique creature and it is ok that you are not perfect, those things you see as imprefection, I challenge you to see them as what makes you stand out. Learn to accept yourself in all of your forms, at your strongest and at your weakest. You are doing great, so leave any judgement you may have of yourself aside and do you because you are great!
4. Start to trust - As you are venturing in this amazing journey of self-discovery, learn to trust yourself a little bit more. Trust that you will be there whatever happens, you will not cause any harm or abandon yourself. Little by little, trust yourself more and more.
5. Give love - Be ok with giving the same love to yourself as you do to your family and friends. You are an amazing person worthy of great love. Look at the mirror and tell yourself how much you love, how beautiful you are and how great you are because you are. No one is like you and we need you to make this world more interesting, more exciting and better.
This is not something that will change overnight, it will take some time. So, enjoy the process of going on dates with yourself, exercising, trying new things and hobbies.
Explore this amazing person that is you and who is worthy of great love!
I hope this serves you. Thank you for making me a part of your day today.
I am always grateful for you,